Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Political Inheritance

As M has so aptly pointed out, this is a new day for us and for the next generation. Obama as president has me feeling hopeful--something I haven't felt regarding politics for a very long time (or at least through two Bush terms). However, I worry about the country that Obama is inheriting. Let's face it, the country is a mess. The economy is tanking. The military is stretched thin. None of these problems have easy fixes. And, as I type, Bush continues to work on some of his pet projects underneath the radar (mining issues, endangered species issues, etc), thus creating new problems for the new president.

Yes, Obama has earned himself an honorable place in the history books, but here's hoping he can now live up to the promise of change.

3 comments:

solon said...

I do not think that is the entire point of his campaign. While there are problems, it is not up to him to solve these problems; that is not the nature of democracy.

p-duck said...

I wasn't suggesting that his campaing point is all about change or solving the nation's current problems. But, the nation's current problems will color the historical perception of Obama as a president and make it difficult for any change to come about any time soon. The nature of democracy is a moot point at a certain point. Presidents historically take the blame for problems created, sustained, eliminated, perceived, and real during their term. Whether or not it is up to Obama to solve problems, he will still be the one to take most of the blame should change not happen.

M said...

You make good points, P-Duck, and I think that Obama is surprisingly aware of the issues that we're facing as a nation--and I say surprisingly because the current administration is overwhelmingly unaware. As Obama pointed out in his speech last night, it is going to be a long road, but now, frankly, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful than I was two days ago. And really, I think the entire country is entitled to bask in this occasion just a little bit. We will all be hit with reality soon enough.