Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"Behind the Scenes" Coverage

From Newsweek: There are not too many surprises in the article, such as Obama's staff did not want Senator Clinton as VP because of Bill; Senator Clinton was closer to McCain than Obama; both Clinton and McCain did(?) not like Obama (their descriptive words are "flashy" and "callow"); McCain feared Clinton as a VO choice; Obama hates debates. When discussing the format of the debate, Obama stated:
"I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more cautious. I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.' So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."
But here is what we did not know (well, mostly):
  • Both campaigns faced massive problems with technology as a foreign entity hacked into the computers systems of Obama and McCain. The FBI is investigating.
  • Palin has zero credibility and cannot be trusted. Her shopping spree cost much more than $150,000 and extended to her entire family. This matters only because of her lengthy denials.
  • McCain and Palin rarely spoke. (This is a save McCain piece BTW.)
  • Barack and Michelle received many threats during September and October, which correlates to the periods when the McCain & Palin rallies stopped being civil.
  • On the Sunday before the last debate, McCain's advisors debated a to whether or not they should tell McCain that the race was effectivly over and he could not win. This is about the time McCain's aids spoke to the press.
The slow political dath of Sarah Palin continues as does the attempts to reclaim McCain's honor.

These color-commentaries are from a longer serieson the campaign, which I suggest everyone reads. It discusses Obama throughout his campaigning and reveals anecdotes such as the sign in Obama's campaign headquarters that asked staff members to bring back shampoo from hotels so they could be donated to charity and this description of David Plouffe: "Staffers joked that Plouffe's range of emotions ran all the way 'from A to B.'"

Further, the first article discusses the Clinton campaign and reveals that Senator Clinton was quite apprehensive about running for President and she surrounded herself with fools. There is a very interesting discussion of her not wanting to leave her home for the campaign trail.

This is part of a longer series:
I. Obama: How He Did It
II. McCain: Back From the Dead
III. Clinton-Obama struggle: The Long Siege

No comments: