Saturday, September 13, 2008

Apparently . . .

there are multiple versions of the "Bush Doctrine," which means that Sarah Palin isn't such an idiot after all.

Wait, I'm sorry. In fact, it does mean she is an idiot, just as this article in the Washington Post signals that many of Bush's employees are also idiots. Ok, Bush may have more than one policy in place. But every single person watching Palin's interview with Charles Gibson (can I say as an aside that I found it incredibly patronizing that she kept calling him "Charlie?") knew what doctrine Gibson was referring too--yes, that would be the doctrine to unilaterally spread democracy to "undemocratic" countries.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to weigh in on the "Charlie" thing--since I have nothing to say about the Bush doctrine, single, multiple, or otherwise. I thought it was a really smart move, not only to redistribute authority in an interview where "Sarah" clearly have none based on her blatant lack of knowledge. I thought it was also a way to incorporate some feminist rhetoric by making the interview seem more "kitchen table," as if she were talking to each member of the audience, too.

About the only smart thing in the whole interview, IMO.

solon said...

But isn't it demeaning to commit to an interview without the ability to demonstrate knowledge of the questions ask. On top of that, to reclaim authority through addressing the interviewee as "Charlie" seems like a poor idea without knowing anything.

If she knew something about any f the questions asked she could have called "Charlie" any name she desired... Oxymoron would have been fine. But she knew nothing...

M said...

I might agree with you, Megs, if I actually thought that Palin had any idea what feminist rhetoric is.

So, for the second time in as many days, Solon and I are in agreement. The planets must all be in alignment. . .

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have no inclination to think that Sarah Palin is the one responsible for the use of feminist rhetoric. It's one of her handlers--undoubtedly the one she should trust, rather than the one that fed her every other answer.

I'm just glad I could help you two see eye to eye, solon and M.

Oxymoron said...

Indeed, I would have been fine had she called Charlie by any other name.