Thursday, February 28, 2008

When Fashion Speaks

I peek at you Shyly and with Great Hesitation, Gentle Reader, from my niche in Chez Reads. The Most Constant of Readers here at The Rhetorical Situation have been Kind Enough to invite me to play in their sandbox, and I am Most Grateful. For those of you who are, perhaps, not Constant Readers of my blog Arrogant Self-Reliance, a brief introduction: This Humble Author tends to discuss All Things Feminist, Fashion, and Pop Culture, all the time. Also, as you may have surmised, This Humble Author also adores All Things Victorian, All The Time, and thus begs your humble pardon for her archaic--yet, she believes charming--speak.

But as I have just--just, Gentle Reader!--watched last night's Chris/Rami showdown on Project Runway, and as I have just--just, Gentle Reader!--been invited to contribute to This Humble Blog on All Things Rhetorical, All The Time, I ask you: How does our Fashion Speak?

There has been Great Humbug over Senator Rodham Clinton's fashion choices, and to this, This Humble Author cries foul. There can be disconnect between what our Fashion Says, and what we intend our Fashion to Convey. Yet the visibility of women's bodies, and thus, the fashion those bodies portray, in our society forces us to reexamine the constant connection of women with their bodies. By discussing Senator Rodham Clinton's fashion choices, the media is thus constantly calling attention to Senator Rodham Clinton's body. Why, then, do we not see similar discussion with our Brother Politicians?

The briefest of brief Questions, Gentle Reader, as a means of greetings, and I Confess that I Must bid you farewell. Lost beckons, after all!

6 comments:

harrogate said...

Welcome, Amy. As the Donald might say, this is an uuuuuuuge moment indeed.

Your opening question, what does fashion say, is a toughie. Unlike the good Reverend Todd, Harrogate does not pretend to have it all figured out. Who ought to wear what, and when. But somehow, you gotta figure it all depends on The Rhetorical Situation.

solon said...

Welcome Amy reads.... I have longed for this moment.

Aahhh, but as you will see in a second, fashion matters...

thursdaynext.21 said...

There was some attention to Obama in 'traditional african garb', though not to some extent. And having said that, I am embarrased to say this means I was watching Nancy Pelosi, wear said attention was proferred.

Amy Reads said...

Huzzah, Friends, and thank you for both the invite and the welcome. ThursdayNext, traditional garb tends to bring about different reactions, as in the case with Senator Obama. It treats bodies not individually but on a larger representative scale.
Ciao,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Amy Reads!!!

I think your point about bodies is apt, and we (by we, I don't we mean at the Situation but, rather, we in the US) STILL (ugh!) operate under a system of marked and unmarked bodies.

Welcome, and yay!

M said...

We're so glad to have you with us, Ms. Reads!