Saturday, January 26, 2008

So Now What?

While I disagree with the wise Harrogate on several issues, I think the more salient point to raise in response is, "What now?" Only a few weeks ago, I, like many Democrats, felt confidence in both--actually, all three--candidates. When Obama took Iowa and Clinton won New Hampshire, it felt like good, clean democratic debate. I supported one (actually, I had recently moved from one to the other), but the other was looking like a great second choice and I would be happy to support either/or in a general election. Now, I feel VERY strongly about my candidate and the opposition makes me feel a tiny bit dirty. People feel like this on both sides of the Clinton/Obama divide.

I've read a little about a joint ticket, but that seems unlikely. In what tangible ways will the party unite for a general election?

2 comments:

harrogate said...

The "Now What" is to understand that 99% of the dirtiness emanating from the Clinton/Obama divide, whether it be in terms of race or gender, is generated by neither candidate, nor their surrogates,

but rather by Media Outlets looking to sell airtime/copy.

Have Obama and Clinton been combative, even at times vitriolic with one another? Yes. Obama had every right to point out Hillary Clinton's past position on the Wal-Mart board, and Clinton was well within her rights with the you worked for a slumlord comment.

Most importantly, the "Now What"--That Is, if you are not okay with the fruits of GOP rule and would not have it perpetuated--Is to fight for whichever candidate the Dems ultimately nominate.

Ideally, Neither Hillary Clinton nor Barack Obama would be in this race. The chattering classes have gotten so caught up in bullshit identity politics and in Clinton's blowjob, the whole fact of what the GOP has done to this country appears to have been forgotten.

But the fact is, these raised all the Big Money. the fact is, a lot of otherwise sensical liberals (especially academes and Media pundits) swoon in the presnece of Identity Politics. And so these are the people we've got.

They're our only shot. One thing Harrogate prefers about Hillary Clinton's backers is that they seem to understand this.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Harrogate most resoundingly. Except, of course, for the last line.

And I will have no problem voting for Hillary if that's what it takes. I just won't feel as elated to do it any more.