Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Must Read: Hardballs

A quirky thought experiment from Slate: what if Chris Matthews treated men the same way he treated women.

For example-- and these are real quotes--, when Conservative pundit Laura Ingraham appeared: "I get in trouble for this, but you're great looking, obviously. You're one of the gods' gifts to men in this country."

To CNBC's Erin Burnett, Aug. 10: "[Y]ou're beautiful. … [Y]ou're a knockout."

Now, what about the same treatment for current presidential candidates:
To Ron Paul: Congressman, fess up. Where does it say in the U.S. Constitution that a seventy-something gets to look as good as you do? Believe me, when you step into a room, all men are not created equal. You're big on civil liberties? I bet the ladies aren't civil when they take liberties with you.

To John Edwards: Wow! The temperature just jumped 10 degrees in here, and I'm not talking about liberal fury. What am I saying? Who cares? Help! Senator, you could be a construction worker. That's how hot you are. You could lay pipe in my house, except my wife would be jealous. If you're president, don't invite us to the Lincoln Bedroom if you intend to get any sleep.

To John McCain: Senator, I know why you pushed the surge. Because you give me the surge. I can barely sit. And don't expect me to set a timetable for withdrawal. I look at you, and I'm a prisoner. A prisoner of love!

To Hillary Clinton: Thanks for coming, Madam Senator. Before we get to national policy, let's talk about your husband. Do you have any photos of Bill you could share with me?

No comments: