Thursday, January 08, 2009

Wherein Paulo Freire Speaks for Harrogate's Mom

Dialogue cannot exist without humility. The naming of the world, through which people constantly re-create that world, cannot be an act of arrogance. Dialogue, as the encounter of those addressed to the common task of learning and acting, is broken if the parties (or one of them) lack humility. How can I dialogue if I always project ignorance onto others and never perceive my own? How can I dialogue if I regard myself as a case apart from others--mere "its" in whom I cannot recognize other "I"s? How can I dialogue if I consider myself a member of the in-group of "pure" men, the owners of truth and knowledge, for whom all non-members are "these" people" or "the great unwashed"? How can I dialogue if I start from the premise that naming the world is the task of an elite and that the presence of the people in history is a sign of deterioration, thus to be avoided?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Nonetheless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often!


Check out my webpage diet plans