Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Nader on Global Warming

From The Good Fight: "Farts disturb more people than odorless pollution or global warming."

I guess that I ought to contextualize this a bit. Nader is not saying that farts have a greater impact on the environment and on our lives than does pollution. He's saying that people get more worked up over the "cutting of cheese" than they do the idea of global warming. The latter does not have the immediacy of a fart. That is to say, it cannot be smelt or tasted, as can be some particularly bad ones. Global warming, he says, is too complex and too abstract to amass widespread public attention and civic action.

In other words, it's hard for average Americans to be as pissed off over global warming as when a fellow commuter toots on the subway car. "That was a good one--my mouth was open."

1 comment:

harrogate said...

I was caught
In the middle of a railroad track (NADER)
I looked 'round,
And I knew there was no turning back
(NADER)
My mind raced
And I thought what could I do? (NADER)
And I knew
There was no help, no help from you
(NADER)
Sound of the drums
Beatin' in my heart
The thunder of guns!
Tore me apart
You've been:

NADERSTRUCK!