Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Maya Angelou and Hillary Clinton

Earlier in the campaign, I discussed the literary endorsements for both Senator Clinton and Senator Obama. To close out March and Women's History Month, Maya Angelou provided another piece for Senator Clinton on her website:
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.
(there is more at the link.)

Because of contextual issues (see comments), the fundraising appeal diminishes this as a straight encomium but my argument is not that the intent of the piece is that it is a piece written specifically for fundraising. However, Maya Angelou provides a very interesting perspective on Senator Clinton and her campaign.

3 comments:

M said...

Ok, given the placement of the poem on Clinton's website right next to the big red donate button, I see how you're reading it as a fund raising tactic. But if you remove it from that context and read it just as a poem dedicated to Clinton (which is how you've included it in the blog), I'm not sure you're reading of it is valid.

Anonymous said...

The context is interesting. I see the fundraising connection, especially with this line in Angelou's post: "In fact, if you help her to rise, you will rise with her and help her make this country a wonderful, wonderful place where every man and every woman can live freely without sanctimonious piety, without crippling fear." But I guess it could simply mean the vote, too, if it weren't for that red donate button!

The poem is nice, but I actually like the rest of the post more!

solon said...

While I was not trying to diminish the strength of the piece because of its appeal to fundraising, if you must make me make an argument on this point, I would defend my words by arguing that it is an appeal for fundraising because:

First, in context the page on which it appears with the fundraising links next to it, as you note.

Second, in the context of Senator Clinton having serious money problems during her campaign.

And, third, in the context that very few can help her directly by voting for her and that more people, many of whom already voted for her, could only contribute to her cause by fundraising and asking others to vote for her. This point becomes very important as yesterday was the last day of the month and the last day of the first quarter, a key day for fundraising for all candidates. Senator Clinton needs to show that she is on the verge of raising tons of money to continue to receive support.

Again, I posted the piece not to focus on the fundraising aspect but because I have been watching the literary endorsements throughout the campaign and I thought that readers here may not have found it. I am sure they would like the tribute. Also, I think this is a very interesting piece to increase adherence to Senator Clinton.

I am not trying to diminish the quality or worth, no pun intended, of Maya Angelou's discourse by implying it is just a fundraising tactic.