Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Huckabee Honors George Brett

Growing up in Kansas City, I was a big fan of Royals baseball. And George Brett was my favorite player. I was thrilled to hear Huckabee honor Brett this evening when he bowed out of the Republican primary race. I was not at Brett's last professional baseball game, as it was an away game. But I was there for his last one at Kauffman stadium. For his final at-bat in Kansas City, the only city for which he ever played professional ball, he hit a home run. But I didn't see it!

Here's why: I watched Brett fly out in the seventh inning. I did not think that he would have another chance at the plate. So I left, disappointed. When I got home, my dad asked me if I had seen Brett's last homerun. I asked, "what homerun?" Yes, the Royals had a string of hits, allowing Brett one last chance to bat in the ninth inning. And he drove it home. I'm sure it was a hit that he will never forget; I wish it was one that I could remember.

No comments: