Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Clinton, Obama, and Political T-Shirts

Like Harrogate, I'm intrigued by the political t-shirt, and while I can't see myself purchasing one (that would be making my choice of candidate a little too public for me), I have been doing a little shopping. After a quick search at a popular on-line t-shirt site, I am horrified (yes, that is right--horrified) at some of the t-shirts out there. I was so horrified, in fact, that I had to keep looking to see if I could find one about Obama that was equally horrifying as all of the ones about Clinton. Here are a few of the most horrifying. Oh, and lest Solon accuse me of limiting people's right to free speech, I want to make it clear that I am not horrified that such t-shirts exists; I am horrified by the inflammatory rhetoric and speech that is behind these t-shirts. (*Note: for some reason I can't upload the most horrifying; go to cafepress.com, and you can find them simply by searching for Hillary Clinton. Interestingly enough the negative Hillary shirts show up on the first page, but if you search for Barack Obama you don't see a negative shirt until the 10th or 11th page.)

So I actually think this one is fairly innocuous.

There is an entire line of shirts calling Hillary the devil and the anti-Christ.

I find the use of Rosie the Riveter particularly troubling--can't we leave this image of female strength alone?
Here is another image of Hillary as the devil. And the really horrifying ones read: "If only Hillary had married OJ instead"; "Just Remember, Even Bill Didn't Want Her"; and "Bros before Hos" with an image of Obama above an image of Clinton. And to be fair there are a few horrific anti-Obama shirts out there, most of which play on his supposed Muslim connection. The most horrifying in my mind has an image of Obama's face superimposed over an image of Osama Bin Laden and reads "Osama Obama." I find all of these particularly troubling because the American public keeps calling for an end to "negative campaigning." What is this, if not negative?

9 comments:

solon said...

It appears as if you found other means to circumvent free speech since the gif images did not appear.

I do think you should put that disclaimer in all of your posts though.

:P

harrogate said...

Harrogate seconds solon's call for a j-peg.

As for the need for disclaimer, Harrogate isn't so sure. One can and should be a cultural critic, without always having to say by the way, the bad stuff needs to be censored or otherwise intruded upon by Law.

M said...

I know, I know, I just fixed it. And I don't think these shirts need to be outlawed. I think they should be used in a class on visual rhetoric--having students analyze these types of images might make them realize just what sort of negative rhetoric is at work.

solon said...

About the disclaimer--

When M put the disclaimer in her post, I laughed. And because I laughed, I thought I would attempt to persuade M to include this disclaimer in all of her posts.

harrogate said...

Put in that light, Harrogate agrees. m should attach the disclaimer.

In fact, she needs to make it her email signature, too.

Now THAT'S getting 'Bang' for your 'Buck.'

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I LOVE the pro-Hillary shirt that says, "A woman's place is in the house." Hell, yeah!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I think that the shirts come up randomly each time you search. I had to scroll through a couple of pages to find a negative Hillary shirt, but "Fuck Barack!" came up early in my search. I did like "Kittens for Clinton," though. Kittens just don't vote for Obama.

M said...

I could do another post on shirts I like--including the one with Hillary's image and caption that reads "Go Iron Your Own Shirt!"

Design a Tshirt said...

Heard about this site from my friend. He pointed me here and told me
I’d find what I need. He was right! Thanks for sharing..

Design a Tshirt