Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The disorder of the caucus

To follow in line with my fellow bloggers about the caucus experience in the great state of Tex-ass, the word of the night was disorder, much like the word of the day during the primary voting. Although there was a reasonable turnout for the caucus, a far cry from the 3" thick ledgers of eligible voters that the administrators possessed, they were not adequately prepared to handle this meager number of devoted citizens. Rather than huddling us all like cattle into a quiet and adequately lit stalls/rooms with seating and such--spaces conducive to discussion--we forced to remain outdoors, on this cool and somewhat refreshing Tex-ass night--although my blood has thinned during my 2nd tenure in this state it was not necessarily the best location for those that were forced to haul their children along or for our seniors. At the moment we were to divide by party and then divide into lines alphabetically, the masses ascended upon their respective tables in complete disarray--the English would have been disgusted by our inability to form an appropriate que. But unlike Harrogate's experience, there was at least one person attempting to check the names off the people who were diligently but aimlessly filling in the appropriate information. Much like my fellow bloggers, upon providing my "John Hancock" I to drifted away back into the abyss from which I came because of the inability of the staff to inform me or my fellow caucusers if any more was to be done. I left somewhat content that I had at least appeared but still a bit disenfranchised by the experience as whole.

What further complicates the event for me was the primary voting in which I was asked if I intended to caucus that evening. Upon responding yes, the precinct worker took her black stamp and marked VOTED in both the caucus ledger and the primary ledger. After inquiring about this action, she informed me that my vote had been counted for both the primary and the caucus, and that I did not have to return to the caucus that evening. Even though I have no way of knowing, I am sure others were told the same and did not return to the caucus that evening . Thus this adds to the confusion of the process in which the cross referencing of the names between the leaflets and the ledgers will not match.

In general terms, and I know my statement will disappoint salon and megs, the process was a waist of FUCKING time--time that I could have used sitting around drinking a damn beer!

1 comment:

supadiscomama said...

That's a very disturbing story about the precinct worker...