Sunday, February 03, 2008

John McCain: Pro-Life, Pro-Cloning

Curious word choice for McCain at a Birmingham stump speech yesterday, during which he sought to reassure the GOP base of his pro-life credentials. "I’ve said a thousand times on this campaign trail, I’ve said as often as I can, that I want to find clones of Alito and Roberts," said McCain to a pundit from the National Review.

Also from the news story:

Tonight at a packed rally in Atlanta, McCain repeated the call for clones.

My friends [does anyone else join Harrogate in being sick and tired of hearing this windbag intone "My friends" before every Talking Point?], I want to tell you, I will try to find clones of Alito and Roberts. I will try to find people just like them."

Will stem cell research opponents take offense?

Hmmm. A good question by one (speaking of Freudian wordplay) Jack Tapper.

How can a Senator explicitly in favor of cloning be the GOP frontrunner?

Is the Senator's persistent use of the word "clone," when reaching out to social conservatives, a Freudian slip signalling his awkwardness with that demographic?

And BTW: Mormons are weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend, I mean, Harrogate, this may be a silly question based on my relative newness to the blog, but I'll stick my neck out here. What's your Mormon thing?

harrogate said...

Perhaps Harrogate does have something of Mormon thing.

Most of it has to do with what Harrogate has read about Mormons. And then, you know, everyone got their holy underwear in a twist at Huckabee for asking, don't the Mormons believe Jesus and Satan were brothers. But the thing is, that is what they believe.
And that's not even the tip of the iceberg.

But speaking of icebergs, Romney's Mormonism is actually the sanest thing about him as far as Harrogate is concerned. Harrogate is very pleased with the way it looks now, that he will be knocked out of the thing very soon. And if he winds up losing the GOP primary because of anti-Mormon bigotry, this doesn't bother Harrogate so much.