Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Less is More. So They Say.

Wired magazine recently asked sci-fi, fantasy, and horror writers to compose a short story (or many in the case of some authors) in just six words -- an explicit homage to Ernest Hemingway's story: "For Sale: Baby Shoes, never worn." A truly impressive list of authors answered the call with varying results. They also asked graphics designers to take them to the drawing board (one example seen here).

Some of my personal favorites:

Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Longed for him. Got him. Shit. - Margaret Atwood

Democracy postponed. Whence franchise? Ask Diebold... - David Brin

Osama’s time machine: President Gore concerned. - Charles Stross

You should definitely check out the full list here.

I tried all afternoon to come up with my own and did not come up with anything inspiring. My best effort so far: "Quals. Prelims. Defense. Still no job?" Given my paltry efforts, I encourage you to post your own or your favorites.

Ok, so apparently, the image does not want to load, so you can check out the designs over at Wired.

3 comments:

harrogate said...

Blackbird, past tense, on a fence.


Sequel:

Fat cat sitting on a fence.

harrogate said...

Bret Hull was in the crease.

solon said...

Enemy combatant? Help me Supreme Cou.......(Silince)