Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Apology to Angelina

In a comment on Megs's post, I spewed a little bitterness in the direction of Brangelina. Yes, your collective unreal beauty, wealth, and general ability to do whatever you want to do gets on my nerves. But at least my OB-Gyn didn't have to give an press coference to inform the rabid media about the status of my womb and/or babies. And the general public doesn't get to weigh in on what I feed my kid. So, I suppose I don't envy you so much after all. Good luck, and I hope your destined-to-be-gorgeous babies arrive in perfect health.

2 comments:

harrogate said...

Yes. Given that we are clearly a celebrity worshipping culture, it's hard to deny that Brad and Angelina are about as good as it gets in that quadrant.

Coverage of them certainly has more to offer, metaphysically, artistically, and politically, than coverage, say, of Tori Spelling. Or the Hefner girls. Or, for that matter, almost all of them....

Anonymous said...

First, I must add to your list of Brangelina woes. In addition to their "collective unreal beauty, wealth, and general ability to do whatever [they] want," Brad and Angelina continue to make the rest of us feel bad by using their celebrity to bring attention to really good causes. Thanks, guys, so we're not only ugly and poor, but we're mean, too! :)

You raise a good point, though, about the "womb watch." I get annoyed if strangers touch my pregnant belly (which, as it happens hasn't occurred once since our move... ah, the differences across the Mason-Dixon line). I can't imagine how it must feel to have a "womb watch" placed on my uterus.

And, all jealousy about their three-year lease in France aside, I've recently heard (on MSNBC, no less) that the reason they chose this location for the birth of their twins is France's really strict paparazzi laws regarding children's photos. Apparently, children's faces are routinely blurred out of photos in the press. So kudos to you, Brangelina, for protecting your kids. By which I mean, "Yes, yes, you're great parents, too. Ugh!"