Thursday, May 22, 2008

Kelly Ripa has farty pants

I detest those Kelly Ripa Electrolux ads. You know, the ones in which she is superwoman, running from the Regis set to her house where she bakes cupcakes and pork chops in her fancy oven, hosts cocktail parties and slumber parties simultaneously, and exudes general perkiness? These ads make me angry. Irrationally so. Combine these ads with those stupid Tide-to-go ads, and she's really just a faux domestic goddess. I'll take Roseanne over Ripa any day.

Unfortunately, I can't find the ad to upload it, and I can't embed the ad that I did find on youtube. The ad begins with Ripa as Carrie Bradshaw (blasphemy!!), pondering the role of the Electrolux oven in the dating life of the "cupcake queen." This baking diva has hot men coming to her house, drawn by the sweet flavors of her (baked) goods. The cupcake queen has a kitchen full of cupcakes, which she hands out like Halloween treats to her Chippendale-esque neighbors. Both CQ and Ripa are in a twitter over the men, and, apparently, CQ is satisfied simply sharing her sweet treats. But neither woman gets any play from these guys. Both, it seems, get all the pleasure they need from using their fabulous ovens. Doubtful.

I want South Park to rip Ripa. And I want her to NEVER "ripa" off SATC again (obligatory pun).

1 comment:

M said...

I agree these ads are annoying. They also reinforce gender roles in a very, very odd way.