Monday, April 21, 2008

Just in time for Mother's Day!

A new children's book, called My Beautiful Mommy, explains mommy's plastic surgery to kids--to "ease their fears." Seriously. I suppose it's a good idea, given the prevalence of cosmetic surgery these days, but it also teaches kids from a very young age that physical beauty is so important that we should go under the knife to achieve it. My favorite part, I think, is the mother's fantasy of being crowned Miss Beautiful Mommy in image #3--sets a great example for her daughter.

3 comments:

M said...

I have no idea what to say to this. It seriously disturbs me that plastic surgery is so prevalent that we need a picture book to explain it to little kids. Do we really need to talk about plastic surgery to kids who are still figuring out what it means to be a boy or a girl?

Anonymous said...

The book doesn't explicitly mention mommy's new breasts, but they're definitely there in the "after" illustrations. Nice, huh?

supadiscomama said...

For the record, I'm not opposed to plastic surgery for those who desire it. If I had the nerve and the money, I'd probably get a little nip/tuck myself ;) What I *am* opposed to is a children's book about how plastic surgery makes mommy beautiful. The kid tells her mother that she's already the prettiest mommy there is, but mommy teaches her daughter that you're only pretty if you fit in with a certain standard of beauty. And they lived happily ever after.