Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Pedagogy and the Limis of Politics

Over at The Volokh Conspiracy, David Berstein wrote that it is not appropriate "to hold a class lecture at an ideological 'teach-in,'" nor is it "appropriate to require students to attend an ideological event to see the professor's own scheduled class lecture." The problem with doing this is that a professor places "politics in the classroom."

I disagree with this statement since whether or not is appropriate depends on the class and student involvement. I commented to the posts; unfortunately, I commented at the end. (Most of the comments agreed with the posts, especially at the beginning and by the time I responded there was little interest.)

I would like to reopen this question here though. Is it appropriate to hold class at an "ideological 'teach-in?'"

2 comments:

harrogate said...

I am a fan of stimulating students into politically and culturally charged conversations, and into writing charged papers, but without playing my own personal hand (which, like everyone else's, is subject to evolution anyway).

It doesn't hurt for the Professor to remember that his or her pet issues and views are not the centerpiece of the universe.

Raising a spectrum issues is very healthy: pounding specific messages seems a hallmark of the pedantic and the insecure, and in, frankly, in the end comes across as more than a bit petty.

It's good that Horowitz is a liar.

Dr. Peters said...

I agree that it is good to allow politics into the classroom, but it is really sticky to appear to support a particular stance oneself. It bothers me to be artificially "objective" and it is also near impossible to include politics in the classroom without students making assumptions, correct or incorrect, about your own views. I have personally had trouble with a student accusing me of political bias in grading his papers. There is a precedence for student objections to professors' politics (usually the evil university liberals) being taken seriously by administration (I'll see if I can turn up some sources on this). It is dangerous territory--even if we believe we are acting ethically, we can be attacked simply for appearing to have an opinion. It is depressing but such is the condition which prevails.