Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Home from my weekend trip

Although I've only contributed but one post to The Rhetorical Situation since its inception last week, I was pleased to return home from my weekend trip to find that I had already established a small but devoted audience of readers, some of whom have created games and posted videos in my honor. If you had told me last week that my absence from this blog would have evoked such responses, I wouldn't have believed it. But here I sit this evening touched by the enormous affection of all of my fans.

For those of you who were unable to correctly guess where I've been, here you go: I was in Arkansas. More specifically, Eureka Springs. I was there visiting my brother. He moved there about a year ago, and I had not yet been there to see him. We had a really great time. The first day we walked around the downtown area, which is more or less a winding street lined with small specialty shops, cafes, and restaurants. Eureka Springs is one of the top arts and culture destinations in the country, so it should come as no surprise that many of the shops are actually small galleries featuring the work of many local and regional artists. I found many cool things but nothing I couldn't live without. Even thought the shops offered much to see, the real attraction of Eureka Springs is its architecture and scenery. The city is more or less a nineteenth-century Victorian village nestled in the Ozark Mountains. To say that it's awesome hardly does it justice. Therefore, let me say that had not Mrs. Oxymoron been left behind in Texas, I'm not sure I would have returned. Yes, it really was that cool.

After walking around the first day, we returned to my brother's apartment and popped open some beers. We then sat down in front of the television and started playing video games. Having too much fun to stop, we played unitl early morning. And when we woke up the next day, we started again. Although I've never been much of a video game player, we literally played the entire second day of my visit. But before you assume that my trip was "wasted" on a Nintendo Game Cube, I will say again that the only reason for my trip was to visit my brother. Yes, I might have missed out on some of the many attractions of Eureka Springs, but I did not miss out on quality family time. My brother and I had a great time. And I even won one game of video golf, a game of video football, and a handfull of video boxing bouts!

So there you have it. For those of you who wondered where I was, you now know. And for those who missed the sound of my voice, miss it no longer, for I am back on The Rhetorical Situation.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a fringed leather jacket like the one Richie Sambora is wearing in that video? Sweet!

1 comment:

Dr. Peters said...

Welcome back. Glad to see that someone else thinks Arkansas has something to offer.