Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Shut the Fuck Up...It is Almost Over."

Megs and I went to see the Dark Knight this evening. And, during the climatic, existential fight scene between Batman and The Joker, a fight almost broke out to the left of us, with people screaming back and forth over who kicked whom and who did what to whom and why the value of the dollar is so low and whether or not the current credit crisis will drop us into a recession.... Oh wait. Only the kicking and screaming happened right at the point the Joker explained his actions, which I'll have to read on Wikipedia because I heard nothing else other then "You Been Kicking me all through the movie...." Of course, after hearing that, everyone understood why the person kicked all through the movie....

Then, the people in the front ("the kickees") left the theater only to return with a representative of the theater's management. The manager approach the alleged "kickers" and asked them to leave. Of course, the manager looked like a fool when the kicker said, "No" and the rest of the theater told manager and the petulant movie-goers to "Shut the Fuck Up" and "Shut the Fuck Up! It's almost over."

And tickets cost $10.75 a piece. And the popcorn was terrible; too salty, not enough butter, and it took 25 minutes to get it. And I never ate my peanut M&Ms.

Oh, and the movie. Incredible. Health Ledger's version of The Joker was one of the best movie villains, ever. No hype, or, all the hype is true. He made Anton Chigurh seem like Mary Poppins.

5 comments:

M said...

I'm trying really hard not to laugh out loud as my students are taking an exam as I read this.

solon said...

I think you should have laughed out loud. Your students would have enjoyed that.

AcadeMama said...

Good comparison! I'm scared of the idea of an Anton in my world, yet I didn't want/need to know any more about his character than the movie offered. The Joker, however, scared the hell out of me, and I wanted more, more, more of him!

BTW, your theater experience resembles one I recently had at the local theater on the Non-College Side of Town on a Friday night. Even my 9-yr old thought it wasn't worth the trip to have to put up with the noise, conversation, ringing cell phones, and popcorn throwing.

Anonymous said...

I have to add my Ledger analysis (since solon covered the brawl with great accuracy). People may be turning out in droves to see the movie because Heath Ledger died. But, once they are in the theater, there is no denying that he's the real deal, personal life (or lack thereof... oh my god, that's a horrible thing to say!) aside. He was, by far, the ABSOLUTE best part of a well done movie. I found him both horrifying and strangely charming. Tough to do, you know?

Oh, and I do have to add that I had a strange urge to jump in and break up the theater fight. The bigger--and closer to my due date--that I get, the bolder I become. I cross streets in front of cars, I speak truth to power. My thought is this: what are they going to do? Hit the pregnant woman? Not smart, maybe, but exceptionally effective!

harrogate said...

Side note to Solon:

Be quietly brave. Do not disagree with megs' utterances at this time. If she is willing to Physicallyt walk in front of Big City traffic, probably a good idea to just get out of her way, Rhetorically.

And megs. Just try to remember. Cars are bigger, and faster, than people.