Saturday, June 07, 2008

No Crown for Big Brown

Tip of the hat to Jockey Kent Desormeaux, who felt that something was amiss with Big Brown and pulled him up to finish dead last in Belmont today. By all accounts (so far, at least), Big Brown isn't seriously injured--he does have a cracked hoof, but it seems not to have affected his race--just tired and, it seemed during the race, a little pissed off. But Desormeaux, when he realized that a Triple Crown wasn't going to happen, decided to take care of his horse. That decision is the first step in restoring my faith in the existence of responsible horse racing.

1 comment:

Skidmore Career Services said...

I agree. I've been watching horse racing for a really long time and I figured out, watching the race, that all I cared about was that Big Brown (or anyone else) didn't get broken. I didn't care that he didn't win.

I guess, I'm a failure as a fan, but Kent Desormeaux is on my list of heroes.