Thursday, June 05, 2008

An End to the Long and Winding Road

The NY Times reports that Senator Clinton will suspend her campaign and endorse Senator Obama on Saturday, five days after Senator Obama won the Democratic Primary. Yesterday, Senator Clinton received feedback but not support from her key backers, telling her it was time to end her campaign and support the Democratic nominee.

And M, you are correct: I do not believe there will be a joint ticket. Clinton's RFK comments, her lack of concession on Tuesday, and the pressure from her camp to secure the VP slot are recent examples to suggest why she won't be number two. Besides the fact Bill Clinton won't pass the vetting process and the Clinton's are a direct contradiction to Obama's message, there seems to be one other problem. In her speech on Tuesday, Senator Clinton stated that what she wanted was respect for herself and her supporters. Of course, throughout the primary, she has shown very little respect for the process and for the fact that someone beat her. Even when she adressed AIPAC yesterday, after she lost the nomination, she used the chance to take aim at Senator Obama.

If she believes that Senator Obama is not the legitimate nominee or that he will not win in November save having her on the ticket-- both of which her speeches suggests she believes and both of which are incorrect-- there is little need to have her on the ticket. These will only hinder a Democratic administration that does not have Senator Clinton on the top of the ticket and there is little chance she will be on the top of the ticket in 2008. Of course, if she were on the top of a ticket now, the division will be too great for her to win.

8 comments:

M said...

Here's the key thing we disagree on, Solon: I frankly don't give a damn who is on the democratic ticket so long as that person upholds the basic tenets of the democratic party AND can beat John McCain. For me this election isn't about being inspired; it isn't about determining which candidate best represents me; it isn't even about which candidate I think will be the best president. It is purely about getting the idiotic Republicans out of office and putting and end to the stupidity that has run the country for the past 8 years. Frankly, I think there are better people to do this than either Obama or HRC, but then, those best equipped to be president rarely run. I know your feelings on a joint ticket, but I do think if these two individuals got it together they could be on a the same ticket, and I would argue, with the right message and the right strategy, they would be pretty hard to beat.

Finally, I still stand by my previous post; it isn't over--it is only just beginning.

Southpaw said...

I used to think the "Dream Ticket" would be great. But, now, I'm actually with Jimmy Carter on this one -- having them both on the ticket would compound the negatives that each candidate brings (by which I and he mean not real negatives but republican-centric negatives such as race, sex, and Obama's phantom islamic faith.)

Oxymoron said...

I've grown to dislike HRC so much over the past few months that I would likely not vote for Obama if she were on the ticket with him.

Stupid perhaps. But that's how I feel.

Anonymous said...

well, oxymoron, there are plenty of people on the other side who have grown to dislike Obama so much during this process (more substantive concerns aside, could he be possibly be more condescending?) that we're going to have a hard time voting for him at all.

I do think having HRC on the ticket would undermine his overall message of change, especially since he's accused her of being the evil empire all through the primary. I don't buy the rhetoric of change but if he's going to push that line, making her his VP seems like an ill-advised move. I don't see it happening.

Anonymous said...

well, oxymoron, there are plenty of people on the other side who have grown to dislike Obama so much during this process (more substantive concerns aside, could he possibly be more condescending?) that we're going to have a hard time voting for him at all.

I do think having HRC on the ticket would undermine his overall message of change, especially since he's accused her of being the evil empire all through the primary. I don't buy the rhetoric of change but if he's going to push that line, making her his VP seems like an ill-advised move. I don't see it happening.

M said...

I don't think there will be a joint ticket either, but I do think Obama would be very, very stupid not to give HRC a very visible role either in the administration or in the campaign. Likewise, I think she would be equally stupid to turn down any role that he offers her. I hope that Howard Dean strong arms both of them into making up.

Oxymoron said...

Yeah, I guess it goes both ways, Anastasia. We'll probably never know, but the so-called dream ticket could violate expectations and drive more democrats away from the party than either candidate could do on his or her own.

solon said...

I think, in his post, Harrogate is correct in the need for finding commonground and it will occur through health care. it seems that Senator Obama is more than willing to let Senator Clinton take the lead and receive all the credit for health care refom if she chooses, reducing the antipathy Clinton supporters may feel. this chance at health care may not be as VP but the chance for personal redemption through health care is available.

this may not be enough for Senator Clinton or some of her supporters, as Anastasia suggests (and vice versa for oxymoron) but the negotiations are just beginning.