Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The long and winding road continues

Unlike Solon, I'm not going to wax poetic over the "end" of the Democratic primaries. Yes, I am glad this part of the election cycle is over. That said, I think those of us who support a democratic candidate have along fight ahead of us. Mark my words (and those of Paperweight, who has said is far louder and far more often than I have) this election is going to be ugly. Further, there are a few things that the democrats need to take car of right away.

First and foremost, HRC needs to pull her head out of her ass and withdraw. I am a longtime supporter of HRC and part of me is very sad that she isn't the nominee; that said, she needs to do what is best for the party and end her run. Second, Obama needs to determine the best strategy to win, and frankly if that means choosing HRC as his running mate (she's recently made statements suggesting she is very open to a VP position) he and his ardent supporters need to make this decision and make it fast. Frankly, I'm not at all convinced either Obama or HRC can beat McCain on their own. Together, I would argue they are almost unbeatable. (And, yes, Solon, I am fully aware that you disagree with everything I've just written, so you don't need to feel compelled to remind me why Obama shouldn't choose HRC as a running mate.) If Obama chooses another running mate (and there are a lot of other good choices out there), HRC needs to be given a fairly public role in his administration and at the Democratic National Convention. In short the democrats need to unify themselves very, very quickly if they are going to win in November.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on every point.

M said...

I really wanted to tell you the same thing about your post on Obama's rhetoric, but I also understand why you decided not to allow comments. I'd love to link it at the Situation, but I didn't since I get wanting to express your ideas without people commenting.

Anonymous said...

I was torn about the decision to disable comments. It wasn't to prevent regular readers from weighing in on the issue--not at all. But last time I posted something about Obama, which was actually mostly about Clinton, I got a couple of comments from people who were clearer googling to find opposition to Obama and smack it down. It was unpleasant. And I'm just not up for that right now.

I may post something to that effect because a couple of readers who wrote blog posts in reply were frustrated that I disable comments and I want them to know it wasn't to keep them from responding. Just trying to keep the trolls in their caves.

Anonymous said...

clearly not clearer. grrr.