Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cuddly Critters are Victims of Racism too?

I ran across this story on MSNBC.com and found it both humorous and disturbing. First of all, the campaign seems obviously tongue-in-cheek to me--perhaps I am insensitive. Second, I didn't realize that people were less likely to adopt black-coated animals. As the puppy parent to "Chocolate Thunder," who, while technically dark brown, looks black, I am particularly surprised. When we adopted Miss Chocolate, we were told that she hadn't been in any one foster home for longer than 8 weeks. I now know that this is because she is a high-maintenance little bitch (and I don't mean that in the "female dog" sense). As for her face: it's gorgeous. Her fur is always shiny, and she has giant dark brown eyes that make you forget (for a moment) that she just peed on your pillow.

Maybe racism has made her bitter. Maybe she was extra sweet and obliging young pup until she encountered the predjudices against dark-furred dogs. Maybe this is why she gets so mad when our lovely blonde lab mix and our light brown doxie are having fun tussling with each other. Maybe she barks to tell them that not all dogs have such cozy little lives. Maybe Miss Chocolate is an activist. Fight the power, girl!

No comments: