Saturday, April 19, 2008

WTF?

Today I went to Target to stock on some essentials and to replace Supadiscotoddler's sippy cups, which are, apparently, poisonous. Strolling past the toy section, I noticed a display of inexpensive little toys, and I grabbed a package of three small bouncy balls--mini-soccer ball, mini-baseball, mini-basketball--because Supadiscotoddler loves him some balls (save your comments, dirty minds). Upon arriving home, Supadiscotoddler set to work bouncing the balls all over the house. Almost simultaneously, Supadiscodaddy and I noticed the smell of gasoline in the house. The source of the smell, it seemed, were the bouncy balls. Obviously, toys reeking of gasoline are not ideal. I checked the package for more info: "Made in China" was all it said. We distracted Supadiscobaby and were able to throw the balls away. So, I ask you, what the fuck? Why is it that, all of a sudden, we're discovering that everything our kids play with or drink out of or eat off of may be toxic?

3 comments:

p-duck said...

supadiscomamma - I recently bought some nylons from Target, not made in China (made in Sri Lanka i think) and they REEKED of gasoline. I had to hand wash them twice, and then spray with perfume before I would wear them. (it was for baby p-duck's babtism and I didn't have time to shop for another pair). Then I threw them out. The smell was impossible to get ride of and made me very uneasy.

Oxymoron said...

I, too, find this post likeable.

thursdaynext.21 said...

Why do our toys smell like gasoline, eat lead mixed in our food, and wear flammable clothing that comes with its own starter fluid? Our society is made up of cheap bastards (retail executives) who forgo quality for price.

I say, there's nothing wrong with a block of wood for a toy. Unless its been dipped in peremethrin infused water resistant deck stain which can cause brain damage in young ones.