Monday, August 18, 2008

"F*@k DC Comics"

So says Robert Downey, Jr. to conclude his comments about the "highbrow" Batman film. Apparently, RDJ felt that the film was too smart and that one needed a college education in order to understand what was happening in the movie. Is he just jealous that outperformed The Dark Knight outperformed Iron Man? Here's a snippet of the interview:

"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."
So, as someone in the film industry who fancies himself a serious actor, RDJ doesn't want to see really smart, complex movies. And the obvious response to something that one doesn't understand is, "Fuck [whatever it is]." Awesome.

[Meanwhile, in Tropic Thunder, RDJ's character supposedly (I haven't seen the film) mocks method acting, Hollywood egos, and racial/ethnic stereotypes: "...you have an Australian, you have an African-American, you have him disguised as a Vietnamese, and in the beginning of the movie, you see him as an Irishman - a very gay Irishman..." The trailers are pretty damn funny--I look forward to seeing the movie when it's available on DVD.]

1 comment:

harrogate said...

Downey's comment is depressing. Harrogate says this as one who is not only aware of the Marvel/D.C. rivalry, but also as one who has long preferred Marvel greatly.

But this last offering by Nolan was something special. And for RDJ to piss all over it because it didn't come to him cut up like steak for a child, is just sad. There's too much of that in America.