Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Spinnin' the Vinyl

As some of you already know from offline discussions, I recently purchased a turntable and re-entered the world of vinyl music. There are many vinyl enthusiasts out there who would say that my choice is a good one, as analog technology reproduces music more naturally, accurately, and musically than the CD. Those in the digital camp would argue just the opposite, claiming that CD technology is superior to vinyl because it eliminates the "pops" and "clicks" of analog records and because CDs are ultimately more convenient. Both arguments seem accurate to me.

While I don't want this post to turn into another "Analog vs. Digital" debate, I do want to point out one advantage of vinyl, a point that is rarely discussed in such arguments: the value that vinyl presents to music lovers. I drove down to campus today for a training seminar. On my way out of town, I swung by Half Price Books to check out their used record collection. Nearly every record was $1.99. And there were some good ones. I walked away with some really great albums, including Rod Steward's Foot Loose & Fancy Free, which I'm listening to right now. It’s sexy!

Half Price isn't the only place selling records at these prices. There are many more, especially if you head into Austin. I tend to purchase a lot of music, so my turntable will likely pay for itself in no time. What’s more, I already seem more apt to consider new and different music. Instead of buying the stuff with which I’m most familiar, I now find myself taking some risks. Heck, I can’t go wrong at $1.99. And if I do, I could always sell the album back to the store. Apparently these places also buy used records.

1 comment:

Oxymoron said...

I also want to thank Harrogate for letting me raid his vinyl collection. He has let me borrow some great albums that are sure to bring me many hours of listening pleasure. In fact, they already have.